This quote by Eleanor Roosevelt was my inspiration back in January of this year. This year was meant to be a year of authority for me. A year of giving myself permission to finally live my life.
It’s not that this year is no longer about that. It is. Next year probably will be too. Every year of my life from this year forward will probably have that theme.
It’s just that sometimes I lose track. I forget that I am worth giving permission to.
So what holds me back in this place of lack of permission and fear?
Here’s a short list:
- A desire to please everyone, especially the people I love.
- Fear of not being accepted.
- Failure – it’s easy to never fail when you never begin.
- Convincing myself I have to get all of the small stuff done before I can begin anything else – and that can vary from cleaning the house, to paying the bills, to doing laundry, to grocery shopping…just any time-eater.
- Having to explain what I’m doing and meeting blank looks or, worse, opinions about why I’m wrong combined with suggestions on what I could do better.